Saturday, February 17

I Don't Only Take Pictures Of People






















I've noticed lately that there are some photographers out there that only shoot people and people only. The reverse is true as well for product, landscape and so on. I took for granted the notion that once you posses the skills to photograph you can apply those skills elsewhere and be a stellar photographer in each and every single genre. I was under the impression that if you shoot people well then you can shoot anything and handle any assignment that would come your way. I have been affiliated with photography for over 15 years and I have always thought this until I asked a friend to see if he wanted to shoot product with me. He is an established wedding photographer who is very good at capturing that special moment but I felt as though I punched him in the face when I asked him to assist me with a product shoot. He simply didn't know how to shoot product. I then wondered if I knew any more like him. I found out that I know a relatively popular photographer who is known for shooting wildlife and landscape but really doesn't like to shoot people. When I saw his people shots I found out why. It was as if he was a point and shoot beginner it was so bad. His people shots were horrible!!! Yet he teaches photography, granted it's wildlife photography. You would think that the same principles apply to all sorts of photography and that all he would need to do is take what he does in wildlife and landscape and apply something similar with people. I now know of several wedding photographers who can't shoot product, flying birds, or even landscape if their life depended on it as well. It's strange to say the least. But if you think of it, just having a series 7 license in the securities industry doesn't necessarily qualify you to provide advice in the several genres associated with securities. You may specialize in equities but not in trading options. Apparently the same applies in photography. Although I have made it mandatory for myself to know and be able to shoot all aspects of photography, knowing the essentials of each genre and understanding how to utilize light for each specific situation within that genre....it's certainly very very very different from genre to genre.

To all my buddies out there with a camera...you'll make more money with it if you continue to learn about your industry.

Click on image to view slideshow.

No comments: